Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Central Park

The Gates in Central Park
While Thoughts from Kansas is based in Lawrence, KS, the author grew up in the New York area, and maintain an interest in events in “The City.”
As a result, TfK has watched the coverage of Christo and Jeanne-Claude's “The Gates” with great interest. I had my early reservations, but the proof was in the pudding, and I enthusiastically endorse the gates. Here are some pictures my dad took of The Gates. I was also impressed by some of Dave Beckerman's shots, especially his photos of reflected Gates.

I like the way they move, I like they way they catch light, I like they way you can see them from space. I like the idea of someone coming in and suddenly changing a space in a subtle way, but completely changing the way everyone reacts to it.

Wrapping buildings is heavy handed, this is just a little accent on the already beautiful Central Park. It reminds people the world over not only that the outdoors are special, but that we are all capable of changing things for the better, in small, simple ways.