Monday, March 07, 2005

George Tiller

Dr. George Tiller runs a family planning clinic in Wichita, one of the few that offers late term abortions to women who need them. He is almost certainly one of the clinics being subpoenaed by Phill “the Pfisherman” Kline. Some of his patients are speaking out in his defense:
Jade's Story...
2004 was supposed to be a great year for me & my fiance, we were expecting our first child together. He has a son from a previous relationship who is 3 years old & he is such a joy. But I was really excited for my 1st child. She was due on 1/15/2004, we had chosen her name & were awaiting her arrival. But it was 12/23 during a routine ultrasound that the Dr. thought he noticed a cleft lip. He scheduled an appointment for the next day-Christmas eve-at Mt. Sinai hospital in Toronto where they have a special prenatal program & top of the line equipment. I was told they would be able to get a better look at my daughter & assess her “cleft lip.” My fiance & I arrived in Toronto bright & early Christmas Eve thinking our child had a cleft lip. “No big deal” we thought, surgery can correct that. It was there during the ultrasound that it became very clear to us that somrthing was very wrong, everyone was quiet & they kept bringing other Dr.'s into the room. After about 2 hours we were told that our daughter had multiple birth anomalies. We waited & a genetic conselor, Dr. David Chitiyat, told us that our baby had Trisomy 22, a disorder that is incompatible with life. I was given 2 options at that point-being that I was due in less than a month, I could carry my baby to term, but not only would she be deformed, but she would also die within a matter of minutes after birth. My second option was to go to Dr. Tiller's clinic in Wichita, Kansas. After much contemplation we decided that going to Wichita was the best thing to do. I couldn't bear the thought of giving birth to my baby, then watching her fight for her life for a few brief moments, then to watch her die. My mother & then boarded a plane for Kansas. I was nervous, but who wouldn't be? I knew I was in good hands when I called to make arrangemnts to get there & a I talked to Sarah-a woman I will never forget. She gave me her home phone number in case I had any questions being that it was during a holiday. Throughout the procedure, I felt like I was part of a family. Dr. Tiller & his staff were so kind to me & my mother during my loss. I remain close friends with one of the women in my group to this day.
He runs ProKanDo, a PAC that aims to elect pro-choice politicians. If Kline bugs you, and you want to help elect better candidates, drop a couple dollars on ProKanDo.

(Thanks to Bitch, Ph.D. for the tip.)