Sunday, March 20, 2005

Me too

Left2Right sends a memo to House Republicans:
Having discussed with my [family] how I wish to be treated in case of irreversible brain injury -- a private matter that I choose not to air here -- I hereby inform you of my refusal, in advance, to respond to any subpoenas with which I may be served while in a persistent vegetative state. Since I will not in those circumstances be able to assert this refusal, or my preference to be held in contempt of Congress, I am asserting them publicly now, in the hope of forestalling such ghoulish theatrics on your part, which would richly deserve my contempt. Should this hope be frustrated, I have instructed my physicians and my attorney to deny you access to my hospital room.
I second the motion. Let them put me in jail, I won't go.

And for those who think she'll wake up, look at the photos here. If you don't want to see a CAT scan showing fluid where brain should be, don't look. The same page makes this point:

When people argue that a CT scan could not possibly tell us anything about Terri Schiavo’s condition, logically they must believe one of the following two things:

1) CT scans cannot reliably detect when someone’s cortex has mostly turned to liquid.


2) That someone’s cortex has turned mostly to liquid does not tell us anything important about their condition.
It must therefore mean something that the CAT scans show substantial loss of the parts of the brain which are responsible for higher thought.

Why don't we all follow Terri Schiavo's mother's advice:

The New York Times > Washington > Facing Opposition on Schiavo Bill, Republicans Call a Recess:

"Please don't use my daughter's suffering for your own personal agenda."

This isn't about abortion, the death penalty, or the right to life. If it were, Bush would stay in Texas to help these two patients scheduled to lose life support, 6-month-old and a 67-year-old, rather than rushing back to DC to sign Schiavo's bill.