Thursday, June 02, 2005

My first endorsement for the 2006 primaries

Wichita Eagle | 06/02/2005 | Controversial senator to run for secretary of state:
A state senator who once said women's voting was a sign that American society didn't value families enough now wants to be Kansas' top elections official.

Kay O'Connor announced Wednesday that she is seeking the Republican nomination for secretary of state next year. O'Connor, 63, from Olathe, has served in the Legislature since 1993 and is a member of the Senate committee that considers election issues.

Please let her be the Republican nominee. She's clearly thought a lot about voting, and I think she'd raise some important issues in the campaign.

"I am who I am. You don't have to agree with everything I say," O'Connor said. "I think men should take better care of their women, but I think women should be more willing to accept masculine care."

O'Connor is the first person to publicly announce as a candidate for secretary of state. Incumbent Ron Thornburgh is considering a run for the GOP nomination for governor and hasn't announced his plans.

In 2001, O'Connor decried a society that she said tears families apart, saying: "I think the 19th Amendment, while it's not an evil in and of itself, is a symptom of something I don't approve of."

She added: "The 19th Amendment is around because men weren't doing their jobs, and I think that's sad. I believe the man should be the head of the family. The woman should be the heart of the family."

On Wednesday, she stood by those statements.

"I don't deny saying that, and I will stick to my guns," she said. "I am not bashful about taking an unpopular position. I can take the heat."
From her legislative webpage, you can find some of her influences, including Rush Limbaugh and the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador. Could she have intended to find a different Heritage Foundation?