Tuesday, July 26, 2005

As they say

Crooked Timber is a Nag:
The Senate might vote on Sen. McCain’s and Levin’s amendments to the Department of Defense authorization bill as early as today. These amendments would establish a bipartisan, 9/11-style commission to investigate stories of detainee abuse performed in our facilities. They would end the practice of holding secret “ghost detainees” who are not registered with the Red Cross, and would expressly prohibit cruel, inhumane and degrading treatment of prisoners in U.S. custody, no matter where they are held.

It would be tremendously helpful if concerned readers would call their Senators today to ask them to support the McCain and Levin amendments to the Department of Defense authorization bill.
I favor Contacting the Congress for my contact info.

This is a bipartisan bill that harms no one. If there was no high level authorization for excessive force, no problems will emerge.

This is how democracy is supposed to work. If indeed no one voted for torture, I'm sure this amendment will pass with bipartisan support. If it goes down on a party line vote, I will stand by my statement that people who vote for Republicans are voting for torture.

Now is the time to prove me wrong. My senators don't listen to me, but maybe they'll listen to you.