Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Other reaction

Publius at Legal Fiction offers his take on Roberts:
(1) not that bad; (2) coulda been worse (a lot); (3) no justification for a filibuster. This is all subject to me learning more, but I think Bush did OK.
I'm inclined to agree. My innate distrust of Bush makes me think that this guy is secretly "true-believer" but Publius' sources indicate that he's a smart, no-nonsense guy, which means he'll surprise everyone on some issues.

I can't get myself worked up over this. I could whine about another Harvard educated middle-aged white guy getting a lifetime to run the show, but I don't care that much.

I think that this is a concession on Bush's part that he's in a position of weakness, and he needs an easy victory. Roberts will sail through, and anything that holds him up too long will only make Bush come out looking better when he wins.

The best thing to do is to ask some tough questions ("Do you really believe that Roe v. Wade was wrongly decided?" "Can Congress regulate endangered species regardless of their current economic status?"), get him on the record on the big issues, and then confirm him. He isn't the best candidate (Cass Sunstein?) but he's no worse than we could expect. We can't spend all summer rifling through this guy's underwear drawer.

Let's move past this and deal with the issues of the day, issues like a military that's stretched too thin, a war that's not getting any better, and terrorist threat that can and will strike us again. Let's work on a deficit that's too high, gas prices that are too high, and an economy that's too slow.

Technorati Tags: