Tuesday, September 06, 2005

More on gender

I was stuck thinking about why women are so much less likely to support evolution that men are. The obvious factors are education and religion, but I didn't have the data to assess the importance of those factors.

So I emailed the Pew Center, who ran the poll in question.

A very nice research associate there wrote back:

You've spotlighted an interesting puzzle that we have considered, but unfortunately don't have an explanation for. We had the same idea you did...that perhaps the gender gap on evolution was being driven by education or religion, but there continues to be a gender gap on evolution even when religion and education are controlled for.
So, what else? Not religion, not education (at least not only). For the moment, I'm stuck. I want to figure this out.

Technorati Tags: , ,