Saturday, January 07, 2006

Myers on becoming a zoologist

DarkSyde Dinterviews PZ Myers at Daily Kos. Dr. Myers sez:
I've been a science geek since early childhood, as long as I can remember. In grade school I had the idea that I was going to be a doctor someday, but as I realized that doctors had to work with people and couldn't just do experiments on them, I decided I was going to become some kind of zoologist.
The disappointments of childhood.

I can't say I ever dreamed of being a doctor. I did want to be a fireman when I was little, and I'd run around with a bit of plastic tubing saying "Fire on you, fire on you." Eventually I, too, realized that that wasn't how it worked.

DS: What would you say to your more conservative scientific colleagues regarding the current political dynamic?

PZ: What conservative scientific colleagues? I don't know of any. Sure, there are some more conservative than I am on social and economic issues, but one thing the Republican administration has done is draw us all together--this administration is so anti-science that it has united us all, as far as I know.

As far as the charge of being too liberal -- no one can be too liberal. We can only be not liberal enough. Being liberal means one is for civil liberties, equality, social justice, fairness. We work to improve the world, not maintain the status quo, and especially not to enrich those who already have too much. How can someone be too liberal?
Nicely said. This is the sort of liberalism that our founding fathers adhered to, and what is implicit in calling this a "liberal democracy." Not that everyone is a liberal Democrat, but that we believe in liberty, equality, justice, fairness, and progress.