Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Buh-bye

A Young Bush Appointee Resigns His Post at NASA:
George C. Deutsch, the young presidential appointee at NASA who told public affairs workers to limit reporters' access to a top climate scientist and told a Web designer to add the word "theory" at every mention of the Big Bang, resigned yesterday, agency officials said.

Mr. Deutsch's resignation came on the same day that officials at Texas A&M University confirmed that he did not graduate from there, as his résumé on file at the agency asserted.
Oops. This story was so rich, so full of meaty goodness, that I'm sorry to see George Deutsch go. He's such a perfect synecdoche for the Bush administration. An underqualified hack without the actual experience he claimed telling career professionals how to do their jobs. If I didn't tell you I was referring to George Deutsch, you wouldn't know if I was referring to a cabinet appointee, the head of FEMA, or the president himself.

I'm sorry to see him go. Not that I wanted him interfering with professional scientists as they explain the state of knowledge. Whoever replaces him will do the same thing, so I prefer the symbolism of this particular hack interfering with scientific expertise. It seems more honest.

And that, I suppose, is the problem.