Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Microcosm

From a local radio host quoting Drudge:
Today's memorial service for civil rights activist Coretta Scott King -- billed as a "celebration" of her life -- turned suddenly political as one former president took a swipe at the current president, who was also lashed by an outspoken black pastor!
The radio host responds:

No class at all!!!

This was supposed to be a funeral, NOT a political event. This will come back to bite the very politicians this was designed to promote.
So it isn't classy for the celebration of a very political woman's life to be political? Interesting. Nice of Drudge to stand up against Mrs. King's friends and family to defend her legacy.

Which politicians was this funeral supposed to promote? I thought it was for Mrs. King. Even within the civil rights movement it was a struggle for a woman to take an active leadership role. There was an expectation in the late '60s that she would occasionally raise funds, that her name would be attached to various activities, but that the real work would be left to the men. She fought that, and won control of the legacy she helped craft.

When I die (not for a while, knock on wood) I want people to give to good causes in my name. I want them to stand up and talk about the good work I did, which will include my family and my broader community, but also science, politics, travel, theatre, writing and all the other vocations, hobbies and games I've enjoyed. To do less would be an insult.

To muzzle Coretta Scott King's friends at her funeral would be a tragedy. Thank God that the people who knew her had a chance to remind us of the person, not just the symbol.