Monday, March 13, 2006

Like the Energizer Bunny, the Roots Project just Keeps Going

Cover for Bush:
To the editor:

Sen. Pat Roberts has once again provided cover for the Bush administration’s questionable acts. This time he led efforts to avoid an investigation into the spying activities conducted by the NSA by agreeing to introduce legislation to legalize the current program. Wouldn’t it be nice if an average American could get absolved from a crime by just changing the law and not be held accountable for the illegal act? What does this say about our justice system?

Of course, the Bush administration does not want their spying activities investigated and is keeping it under the covers of “national security.” Instead, they want to prosecute the NSA whistle-blowers for leaking an “illegal” program to the press.

Sen. Roberts is still dragging his feet on an investigation into how the Bush administration misused intelligence in the run up to the war with Iraq. A recent article in the National Journal confirmed that Bush himself was told of doubts about the intelligence shortly before we invaded Iraq but he ignored it.

It is time Pat Roberts starts taking those memory pills he introduced on “Meet the Press” and remember why he was elected and why he serves as chairman to the Senate Intelligence Committee — to provide oversight on this president and rein in his administration’s unilateral and unlawful activities.

Don Bretthauer,
If you haven't written to the paper or to Senator Roberts yet, you still can. Senator Feingold is pushing a resolution censuring President Bush for illegally tapping phones. FISA is a fairly good law and it gives us all confidence that we won't be targets of arbitrary surveillance, an assurance we currently lack.

Since Senator Brownback has expressed concern about the way the spying was authorized, it may be worth twisting his staff's ears over this. His staff didn't think he had made a decision about the resolution when I called. It's worth a shot.

Call 202-224-6521 for his DC office, and give a call to the nearest district office, too.