Monday, March 06, 2006


B-36 PeacemakerWiretapping Vote Expected on Tuesday:
Majority Leader Bill Frist and committee Chairman Pat Roberts of Kansas have recently been trying to play peacemakers. Frist, R-Tenn., advertised closed meetings last week with Republicans critical of the program, including Hagel, Snowe, DeWine, and also some Republican members of the Judiciary Committee.
Peacemakers? Frist threatens to kick any dissenting Republicans off the committee, and Roberts attacks those same dissenters, saying:

While some of my colleagues talk about oversight, they seem less interested in fixing the intelligence community’s problems than in the political benefit to be achieved by exploiting them.
This sounds like the sort of peace the B-36 Peacemaker was meant to create, a nuclear holocaust in which everyone on the losing side is dead. But that isn't peace. Peace is when you get people to agree.

What I want is simple answers: What are the safeguards on the warrantless wiretapping? That's what I want to know. How can I be sure my phone calls aren't being listened to?

I don't need a pissing match, I don't need Bill Frist to rebuild the Intelligence Committee, and I don't need Pat Roberts interfering with other Senators who want simple answers. If he doesn't care, he doesn't have to attend the hearings.

If you haven't called Senator Roberts yet, you really should.

Maine residents, Ohio residents and Nebraska residents should do the same.