Monday, April 03, 2006


j.d. on distrusting atheists:
I don’t trust atheists. Not because I find atheism to be immoral; I believe it’s entirely possible to be an atheist and live a moral life. It’s because the typical atheist is completely insufferable. Always talking about how… atheist they are
Then, I don't trust people who make sweeping generalizations. This is like saying "I don't trust Christians. The typical Christian is always insufferably talking about how … Christian they are." The error is obvious, but worth repeating. Proselytizing is annoying. It doesn't matter what the topic is, it's annoying. Christians, atheists, whatever. An annoying, worthless, stupid practice. And unlike Christianity, no one thinks proselytizing is an essential part of the practice of atheism.

Does this mean I don't trust people who proselytize? No, hate the sin, love the sinner.

Yes, j.d. is sorta, kinda joking, but not entirely. And the study he's commenting on is definitely not a joke. Nor is George Bush, Sr.'s comment about atheists not really being citizens. Nor Paul Mirecki getting beaten up more or less because he made some comments about how … atheist he is.