Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Roberts speaks out

Memory PillsThe Hill reports:
Sen. Pat Roberts (R-Kan.) was forced to reassert himself Tuesday after Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) attempted to demote him from his post as chairman of the Intelligence Committee.

Speaking to reporters, Reid said, “I believe that the Intelligence Committee is not being run by Senator Roberts. It’s being run by the vice president, and that makes it very difficult” to get answers on intelligence matters.

[Roberts replied] “I just reintroduced myself to Harry on the floor,” Roberts said, “and said, ‘I’m Pat Roberts. I’m chairman of the committee.’ I said I would let him know when I became vice president.”

… Roberts added, “You’ve got to have a sense of humor and a thick skin.”

Roberts was further explaining himself outside the Senate chamber when out of nowhere the sound of bagpipes began echoing throughout the hallways. Turns out that a group of kilt-wearing firefighters had taken over the Mansfield Room and the pipes were part of their ceremony.

“Finally, they’re giving me my due,” piped up the ever-quick Roberts. “That’s Harry Reid! Thank you, Harry!”

“Good God,” Roberts sighed at the racket, before thinking of yet another quip. In a nod to the line by his colleague Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) during President Clinton’s impeachment, he shouted, “Not proven under Scottish law!”
I'm getting more and more worried that the Senator, a man privy to our nation's secrets, is afflicted with Alzheimer's disease. He's supposed to have been very funny at one point, but who knows what the hell he's talking about any more.