Sunday, June 18, 2006

An Ode to Kansas

The Guardian's Paul Harris pens his Ode to Kansas:
At the heart of Flyover Land is Kansas, again both figuratively and literally. It sits in the centre of the country and - according to coastal dwellers - breathes a fiery brand of religious conservatism alien to coastal liberals. Which is why what I am going to say next tends to surprise people, especially my American friends in New York.

I love Kansas. It is one of my favourite spots in all of America.

My favourite spot in Kansas is the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve. It is set in the magnificent Flint Hills and preserves a slice of the old rolling grasslands that once covered the Great Plains of America. It is a staggeringly beautiful place where the horizon stretches forever, the sky suddenly seems bigger and the prairie wind never stops blowing.

It is a blank canvas. It is waiting to be drawn upon. It is the promise, despite everything, of opportunity. That is Kansas.