Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Not just a spokesman...

I'm a user.

Apple is rolling out a new iMac for education:

Apple Store
  • Built-in iSight camera
  • Built-in AirPort Extreme
  • Front Row
  • Mac OS X Tiger
  • iLife '06
  • 17-inch widescreen LCD
  • 1440x900 resolution
  • 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo processor
  • 512MB memory (2x256MB SO-DIMMs)
  • 80GB Serial ATA hard drive
  • 24x Combo drive (DVD-ROM, CD-RW)
  • Starting at $899 or $21/month
  • Free Shipping
This replaces the eMac, a computer that never really caught on. I've been using an older version of the iMac, and I've been honestly loving it. After years of using a 12" Powerbook, the freedom of a big screen and a keyboard I can move without shifting the screen is just exceptional.

I've also really been loving Front Row. When I had read reviews of it, I admit to skepticism, but I'm sold. In a small apartment (or dorm room) the ability to control music, videos and DVDs easily from across the room is really, really handy. I guess it shouldn't be surprising, but it is.

And I've been a fan of the iSight camera since it was an add-on. When Ms. TfK was working in Luxembourg, my iSight and her (lower quality) Quickcam combined with iChat gave us a cheap way to talk face to face across the Atlantic.

And remember Buy a Mac, get a free iPod. And when you buy something after clicking these links, you help support TfK.